Embarking on New Horizons – The Challenges of Change
When it comes to taking ownership of our lives – be it to lose weight, change our career paths or pursue our dreams – the journey is never easy, but it will always be worth it in the end.
Comfort zones are nice. We all like them. They are comfy after all. Like lovely, safe, predictable blankets we wrap ourselves up in. Like a warm bed on a cold winter morning as we stubbornly snooze through the alarm.
But we all know that Sleeping Beauty – lovely as she was – didn’t accomplish very much from her slumber. And likewise, those of us who sleepwalk through periods of our lives will likely end up wandering in aimless circles and bumping into more than a few walls.
So after a while, we must listen to those nagging alarm bells that urge us to haul ourselves into the harsh light of day. In these moments, the thoughts of stepping out of our comfort zones seem unappealing at best, and insurmountable at worst. But more often than not, against all odds, we rise to the occasion.
And very soon, those initial moments of shock and horror at our new exposure and vulnerability are replaced by a certain acceptance, and a determination to face the brave new world before us. The hardest part is over, we have boarded the Progress Express.
But what is this? We have to change stations along the way, several times. It’s irritating! We thought the route would be direct.
Taking the first step towards change is the often the hardest part, but it doesn’t mean that everything else is smooth sailing. There are always going to be hurdles along the way that make us question the merits of our chosen path, little obstacles that the universe places before us that test our resolve – occasionally to the point that it seems a wicked sense of humour is bending the very fabric of existence just to trip us up.
But we must remember that nothing worth doing is easy, and that diamonds are forged under extreme pressure. It’s not at all a bad thing to be forced to expand the boundaries of our tolerance.
We just need to reframe the discomfort we experience as mere retraining – a period of adaptation. After all, change itself is the very stuff of life. It’s what we’re made for, and we’re very, very good at it.
Just think – we evolved from sea creatures. If they hadn’t ventured outside of their comfort zones, we would probably still have fins.
So we can concede that, although the journey might not be easy, stepping out of our comfort zones is what makes life worth living, and it will always be worth it in the end.
Here are our 5 top tips to keep in mind when you are weathering the challenges of change:
- Journaling, journaling, journaling. A luxury our aquatic relatives didn’t have. Get those opposable thumbs in gear and write your woes away. We all love to vent and rant and there is no venting that’s less self-conscious and more therapeutic than venting to your own good self. Light a few candles, make a nice cup of tea and pour your heart onto a page. Nothing clarifies your mind like putting it on paper.
- Sweat it out! Get out of your own head and into your body by focusing on physical exercise – a jog, a session at the gym, a yoga class or whatever tickles your fancy. Burn calories, release endorphins, and forget yourself through the joy of movement! You’ll be glowing afterwards and you won’t even remember what all the fuss was about.
- Take time to remember how far you’ve come. It’s easy to be self-critical and to focus on how far you still have to go, but when we are on a journey, it pays to take stock and look at the ground we’ve already covered every once in a while. Don’t be afraid to pat yourself on the back and say, “Well done me. The dentist was right, I DO need a crown!”.
- Make a vision board with visual representations of your goals, and stick it to your mirror. This way, you will be reminded of your priorities every time you see your reflection.
- Clean! To dust off the figurative – and literal – cobwebs, a good spring clean in any season is a great way to improve your frame of mind and feel a sense of accomplishment without even leaving the house. More refreshing than climbing Everest in your jammies.
Most importantly, don’t become disheartened, don’t expect immediate results, and don’t give up. Keep listening to that little voice inside that urges you to keep going. You know the one. The one that doesn’t stop nagging, the one that always has to be right and, annoyingly, always is right despite its penchant for sending you down the more difficult route. Success and steely determination go hand in hand.
There is a bottomless font of possibility within you – all you need to tap into it is a bit of bravery and a lot of persistence. Sooner or later, your comfort zone will have expanded into realms beyond your current reach, so keep grasping until you get there, and get there you will. Before you know it, despite the twists and turns you’ll face along the way, you’ll have arrived at Transformation Station, New You City.
That’s all the analogies we can fit on one page, so we’ll stop here – but don’t you dare, you’ve only just begun!
Remember that Natur House is here to help. Just give us a call on 01 406 2798 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a nutritionist and receive the support you need on your weight-loss journey.